What if there were a faster, easier way to get contact lenses? What if you didn’t need to go through your local optometrist, but could simply order them online?
That is the promise of SimpleContacts. But can you really get high-quality contact lenses through this website?
Let’s explore everything that SimpleContacts has to offer in detail. We’ll go over pricing, services, pros and cons, and more.
What is SimpleContacts?
SimpleContacts is an online service for ordering contact lenses.
You should note that when you visit SimpleContacts.com, you will see a notice which reads, “Simple Contacts has partnered with 1-800 Contacts. Get 15% off your first order now.”
When you click “Get Lenses,” you will be redirected to 1800contacts.com.
1800 Contacts is a well-known business with a long-standing reputation. Indeed, they have been around for 25 years now. So, there’s a good chance that you already have heard of them.
Since you came here looking for information on SimpleContacts, for the sake of simplicity, I will continue to refer to SimpleContacts in the headings in this article. But I will also refer to be 1800 Contacts brand name.
SimpleContacts Quick Facts
- Current promotion: Get 15% off your first set of contact lenses.
- Shipping is free.
- Multiple options for submitting your prescription.
- Friendly and knowledgeable customer service 24/7.
- Free online vision exam.
- Free returns and exchanges.
What Are the Benefits of SimpleContacts?
Here are the advantages of using SimpleContacts:
- Skip the appointment with the optometrist. If you are eligible to use the online vision exam for free, you can save a lot of time, money and hassle by not going to the local optometrist.
- Avoid going to the store to pick up your contact lenses. You can simply have your contact lenses deliver to you at your home instead. In our COVID-19 times, this is both convenient and safe.
- It is easy to submit your prescription and verify it. There are multiple options for submitting your prescription, giving you the freedom and flexibility to choose what works best for you. If necessary, you also can get a prescription using the Express Exam service.
- Shipping is free and fast. You do not need to pay a dime for shipping. And even with everything going on right now (I am writing this during coronavirus), the site is shipping orders out quickly to customers.
- Save time and hassle. It can take hours to make and keep an appointment with the optometrist. And just driving to and from the store to pick up contact lenses also can take time. And all of these things can be stressful. Skip the time and the stress by ordering contacts online.
- Get clear sight when you need it. If you are running out of contact lenses, you don’t have the luxury of waiting to get them locally sometimes. 1800 Contacts can expedite shipping so that you get clear vision right away. That way, you can continue to work and go about your life unimpaired.
- Access a wide selection. You will probably have more products to choose from when shopping at 1800 Contacts than you would if you were purchasing contacts locally.
What Services Does SimpleContacts Provide?
Simply put, SimpleContacts provides you with contact lenses, shipping them directly to your address.
This saves you the trouble of having to go out to purchase your contact lenses in person from your local optometrist.
1800 Contacts has also branched into telehealth since many eye clinics are closed, offering free online vision exams.
We will provide more information on how this works shortly.
Types of lenses which you can purchase on this website include:
- Disposable – Monthly, 1-2 Week or Daily
- Color and Enhancing
- Toric and Astigmatism
- Multifocal and Bifocal
What Does SimpleContacts Cost?
If you want to use the eye exam service on this website, you do not need to pay a dime for it.
As to the cost of contact lenses, in that respect, SimpleContacts/1800 Contacts is not as competitive as quite a few competing websites.
In fact, I have found that some of their products appear to be almost twice as expensive here as they are on some other sites which I checked.
So, it would seem that you are paying for convenience to some extent when you order here. Is that convenience worth it? For the quality of customer experience you are having here, that answer may be “yes.”
Also, what I looked at were prices without insurance. With coverage, the differences might not be as significant.
How Does SimpleContacts Work?
Let’s go over how SimpleContacts/1800 Contacts works for both ordering contacts and taking vision exams.
How to Order Contacts on SimpleContacts
Using SimpleContacts is super easy.
1. Click on “Get started.” Note that if you arrived via SimpleContacts.com, you can (as of the time of this writing) save 15% on your first order.
2. You will now find yourself on a page where you can search through brands and manufacturers to find your preferred contact lenses. If you prefer, you can also organize the results by lens type.
3. After clicking on the product which you are interested in, you can input your order. You have the option of either placing a one-time order or subscribing to save 5%. On that same form, you can put in how many boxes you want to order for your right eye and your left eye. Click “Continue.”
4. Now it is time to provide the website with your prescription. There are two options for doing this. If you have an existing box of contact lenses you can look at, you can check the prescription there and write it down. If you have a written prescription, you can upload a photo of it. Don’t have it at all? Ask the site to contact your optometrist on your behalf.
When you are providing your prescription, be sure to check the box which says that you are providing the site with permission to obtain a copy of your prescription. This will speed up your orders going forward.
5. Enter in your name on the screen which asks, “Who is this for?” Click “Continue.”
6. Review your order. You now have a chance to check over the full details for your order and review the final price. Click “Continue.”
7. Provide shipping information. If you are a returning customer, sign in instead.
8. Submit your order and make your payment. At that point, the site will attempt to verify your prescription.
9. Once your prescription is verified, the site will ship out your contacts.
10. Receive your contacts directly at your address!
How to Take the Free Vision Test on SimpleContacts
If you do not have an up-to-date prescription, you will want to consider using the free vision test which is available on 1800 Contacts. Here is how it works.
1. Find out if you are eligible. You will need to provide answers to some basic questions about your age, eye health history, location, and so forth. If you pass this step, you can move onto the next one. Otherwise, you will need to get a regular offline vision check before you order.
2. Photograph your eyes and submit the photo to the site. The reason you need to do this is because the site’s doctors want to see if your eyes look red or irritated in any way.
3. You will now take the vision test. You will need to stand 10 feet away from your device. During the test, you will read letters aloud, just as you do when you are at a traditional eye exam appointment. Your device can be either a computer or a smartphone, but it needs to include a camera and a mic. You also will need a way to measure exactly 10 feet.
4. You also will need to provide information on your current or last known prescription.
Before taking the test, there is a simple calibration process. The test only works if the letters are displayed at the appropriate size from 10 feet away. In order to calibrate the test correctly, you will need a credit card, driver’s license, or any other card with the same proportions.
Is this vision test right for you? 1800 Contacts writes, “It’s a real vision exam and your results are reviewed by a board-certified ophthalmologist licensed in your state. If appropriate, they’ll issue you a valid prescription you can use to buy contact lenses anywhere in the United States. It does not take the place of a regular comprehensive eye exam.”
Nevertheless, there may be situations where you would still have a difficult time establishing an accurate prescription.
For example, if you expect there has only been a very minor change in your prescription, you might have a difficult time using this out-home test to figure out exactly what the adjustment should be.
Also, since the test needs to be taken from 10 feet away, it seems likely that those who are very nearsighted might not be able to use this test at all.
What Are the SimpleContacts Payment Options?
A customer service representative told me, “We accept Most Major US credit cards! Like Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. We also accept PayPal and afterpay! I do also think we take ApplePay!”
If you have a flexible spending account (FSA), you can use it on this website. And if you happen to have vision insurance, you can use it while shopping here as well.
1800 Contacts may be in-network for you if your insurance company is any of the following: Davis Vision, Superior Vision (Versant Health), Blue View Vision/Anthem BCBS.
I asked the customer service agent about shipping too. She wrote, “Our free shipping is 5-7 business days, we currently have a latest ETA of 08/04 without a verified prescription on file. We also offer 2-3 day shipping for 14.99 and Next Business Day for 19.99.”
So, that gives you an idea of the window you can expect if you don’t have a prescription on file versus if you do.
If you do not have a prescription on file, it sounds like it would only take a few extra days on average to get your contact lenses.
Returns at SimpleContacts
The return policy on this website is, “We offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all orders. If your prescription changes, we’ll even let you return the unused lenses, as long as they are sealed in their original packaging. Once we verify your new prescription, your lenses will be replaced and sent to you. We are also happy to replace torn lenses.”
So, that’s pretty awesome. Also, the verification process before shipping out orders ensures that SimpleContacts will generally catch it if you happen to type in a wrong number when you make your order. You should still get the right prescription.
But if for whatever reason you do not, you can get a replacement with the correct prescription at no additional charge.
Is SimpleContacts Legit?
Yes. SimpleContacts has joined forces with 1800 Contacts, a brand which has built a name for itself over decades. This is definitely a legit website for ordering contact lenses or taking an online eye exam.
Pros of SimpleContacts:
- 1800 Contacts has a solid reputation. As just mentioned, this is a company you have probably heard of. So, you can feel confident placing an order on this site.
- You can browse a huge selection. There are so many different brands and types of contact lenses available on SimpleContacts. So, no matter what your needs are, you should be able to find the contacts which are right for your eyes. You can even order a different brand for each eye if you need to do so.
- The customer service is outstanding. I contacted customer support on live chat to test them out. I was connected with an agent within seconds. She answered my questions quickly and was very knowledgeable. She was also enthusiastic and friendly, and I could tell she loves what she does.
- Shipping and returns policies are excellent. It is hard to go wrong with fast, free shipping! And the site is very reasonable when it comes to returns and exchanges. You never need to worry about not being satisfied with the product you receive.
- You may be able to update your prescription with an online vision exam for free. If you are eligible for the online vision exam, that can help you keep money in your pocket and save you a lot of time and hassle. And with COVID-19 rampant, you do not want to go to an optometrist if you do not have to.
- Submitting your prescription is a breeze. Since you have more than one option for how to submit your prescription, you should have no problem doing so no matter what the scenario. And it is really cool that 1800 Contacts will connect with your optometrist if necessary to get your prescription.
Cons of SimpleContacts:
- Lenses can be a bit pricey in some cases. It is possible that you will find a better price on another website for some contact lenses. That being said, you may find that you receive better support through SimpleContacts.
- There may be some technical issues with the site. SimpleContacts loaded fine when I tried using Internet Explorer. But I noticed some issues on Chrome. Sometimes pages would hang while loading. In other cases, pages would appear to load fine, but some features would be broken. For example, I would not be able to expand answers in the FAQ section. I would expect since this is a large business that such an issue is probably fleeting in nature, but I figured I should point it out anyway.
Who Should Consider SimpleContacts?
Pretty much anyone who wears contacts should be able to make good use of SimpleContacts.
Again, the eye exam may or may not be appropriate for you depending on your requirements. But as far as ordering contacts go, SimpleContacts offers a wide product selection, so you should have no problem finding what you’re looking for.
If you want to shop a massive selection of contact lenses and get fast, free shipping of lenses straight to your door, Simple Contacts/1800 Contacts is the site for you.
While pricing can be a bit high, exceptional policies and customer care combined with a rock-solid reputation make up for that. Check out their selection. You could get your next box of contact lenses delivered within 7 business days.