If you need to get a hearing aid, one option is to shop for them online. You may have heard of the website MDHearingAid, which sells FDA-approved hearing aids. Is this site legit?
In our in-depth review, we will tell you more about the company behind MDHearingAid, its products, and how the ordering process works. That way, you can make an informed decision about whether to buy your hearing aids from this website.
What is MDHearingAid?
MDHearingAid is a well-established website. Over half a million Americans have been using it for their hearing aid needs for more than ten years.
Describing its products, the mid-western company that runs the site writes, “Our hearing aids are high-quality, FDA-registered medical devices that are programmed to the highest standards by our in-house audiologist. The hearing aids are assembled and tested at our distribution center in Southfield, MI and then shipped out all over the U.S.”
The company has two offices in Chicago and the Detroit metro area which employ in-house audiologists.
MDHearingAid Quick Facts
- This site sells FDA-registered MDHearingAid hearing aids
- Shipping is free
- If your insurance covers hearing aids, you can use it
- Financing is available
- Guarantees and warranties are offered along with an extended protection plan
What Are the Benefits of MDHearingAid?
- Save time and effort ordering hearing aids. It can take hours out of your day to visit a hearing center, but it only takes minutes to take a hearing test on MDHearingAid’s website or to place an order for one of the site’s products. The whole process is fast and easy, and can reduce the stress of getting a hearing aid.
- Avoid unnecessary visits to your local hearing center. With coronavirus still rampant, it makes sense to stay home when you can and avoid clinic and retail environments. MDHearingAid lets you get what you need without leaving the safety of your home.
- Save money on hearing aids. Although this site does not sell custom hearing aids, it does specialize in hearing aids that are affordably priced.
- Check your hearing regularly online for free. With the free hearing test feature on the site, you can check for changes in your hearing throughout the year.
What Products Does MDHearingAid Provide?
You can buy any of the following types of hearing aids from MDHearingAid:
- MDHearingAid PRO
- MDHearingAid AIR
- MDHearingAid VOLT
- MDHearingAid CORE
MDHearingAid only sells FDA-registered Class 1 hearing aids. You can choose a digital or analog model. Let’s learn a little bit more about each of these.
If you are looking for a budget analog option, the most affordable MDHearingAid product is the PRO model.
It features noise reduction and two environment settings, but skips all the bells and whistles. The battery life is between 30-40 days, and the dimensions are 1.375” x 0.25” x 0.5”.
The next level up in price is the MDHearingAid AIR, which is a digital model. It features superior noise reduction compared to the PRO, and four environment settings.
Along with the added environment settings, the AIR includes feedback cancellation and digital sound processing. The battery life is 21-26 days, and the dimensions are 1” x 0.25” x 0.5”.
The VOLT is so named because it is a rechargeable hearing aid. This one is water-resistant as well, and features advanced noise reduction and four environment settings.
Special features include digital sound processing, feedback cancellation and dual directional microphones.
Each charge gives you 24-30 hours. The dimensions are 1.25” x 0.25” x 0.5”.
Finally, we have the most expensive product in the MDHearingAid line, the CORE.
Like the VOLT, this product includes four environment settings and advanced noise reduction. It also includes digital sound processing, feedback cancellation, and dual directional microphones.
Unlike the VOLT, it is not a rechargeable water-resistant model. But it does include some additional features. It is smartphone-compatible and boasts adaptive technology. It is a personalized solution, and offers a battery life of 5-6 days. The dimensions are 1.375” x 0.25” x 0.5”.
Describing the smartphone feature, the site says, “CORE hearing aid changes and adapts to your hearing. Through the MDHearing App for smartphones and tablets, create unique personal profiles in the privacy of your own home, instantly personalizing your hearing aids so conversations and sounds stay crisp, sharp, and clear — year after year.”
This website also sells accessories such as batteries and chargers, tubing, domes, tips, and products for hearing aid and ear care.
What Does MDHearingAid Cost?
As of the time of this writing, the least expensive hearing aid that I see for sale at MDHearingAid is the PRO at $399.98 for a pair. The most expensive product I see is the CORE, at a cost of $1,599.99 for a pair. That may sound expensive, but for a personalized hearing aid, it is quite reasonable.
You do have the option to buy just one hearing aid if that is what you need. But the site highly recommends buying a pair, as they function better this way.
As of the time I am writing this, there are also some massive discounts. Now, I am writing this during the Black Friday sale, so I do not know if deals this big are usually available. But right now, for instance, you can purchase a pair of AIR or VOLT+ hearing aids at the same price as a single. You can save between $400 and $600 on AIR, VOLT+ or CORE.
How Does MDHearingAid Work?
Technically, you do not need a medical evaluation to obtain a hearing aid through this website. You can sign a waiver under federal law. But the site strongly encourages all patients to be evaluated prior to ordering.
How to Order Hearing Aids on MDHearingAid
It could not be simpler to buy hearing aids on MDHearingAid!
1. Navigate to the website and click on “Shop” in the top menu to browse through the products.
2. Add the hearing aid you want to your cart.
3. Enter in your details and payment information.
4. Finish checking out, receive confirmation of your order, and wait for your hearing aids to be delivered to your address.
That is all there is to it! But if you want, you can take a hearing test on the website before you place your order (see below).
What if you need an adjustment? Customer support can help you out online.
How to Take the MDHearingAid Online Hearing Test
1. Click where it says “Online Hearing Test” In the top menu next to “Shop.”
2. Plug in your headphones.
3. Click on the blue button that says “Start your free hearing test.”
4. Fill in your profile information on the next screen. You just need to put in your first and last name and email address. You can put in your phone number too if you want. Click on “Create my profile” when you are done.
5. Follow the instructions on the next page, which tell you to find a quiet room. This is super important, especially if you do not have noise-canceling headphones. Even the soft sound of a car driving by in the distance could disrupt your results. Then click on “I’m in a quiet room.”
6. Set your headphones on maximum volume. After you have done that, click on “Volume is set at 100%.”
7. Click on the buttons for left and right ears on the next page to do a sound check. After you have verified that they are both working properly, click on “Headphones are ready.”
8. You will now test your left ear. You will see a number of bars for volume on your screen. You can click them to adjust volume up or down. Set the volume as low as you can while still being able to hear the sound. Click “Save and continue.”
9. Repeat step 8 as many times as you are asked to do so. The site will play different tones at you.
10. After you have finished testing your left ear, you will do the same thing with your right ear.
11. You will now be shown a screen with your hearing test results. This includes a detailed audiogram showing how both your ears fared with respect to different frequency ranges.
This hearing test can be helpful if you are not sure what you need. Just keep in mind that if you have never talked to a specialist before about your suspected hearing loss, doing so is wise.
Sometimes hearing loss is transient and has an innocuous cause. For example, a severe buildup of wax in one’s ears can significantly reduce hearing until it is removed.
In such a scenario, you would simply need to have the wax removed. You would not need a hearing aid.
You could also get a false positive if you take the test in a noisy environment. All it takes is one disturbance outside your window to throw off your results.
So, just keep all that in mind if this is your first time checking your hearing. It is important to make sure you really do need a hearing aid before you buy one—just as the site itself recommends.
What Are the MDHearingAid Payment Options?
Insurance usually does not cover the cost of hearing aids, but if your insurance does, you can use it. You just need to contact the website to handle the details.
When you check out, you have the option to either pay in full upfront or to use financing. If you want to pay in installments, you can do so using PayPal or Affirm. With Affirm, you can enjoy 0% interest for 12 months.
You also have the option of paying for your hearing aids using a credit or debit card.
You can get free USPS First Class shipping when you buy your hearing aids on this website.
Returns and Warranties at MDHearingAid
MDHearingAid does guarantee its products, and offers a 45-day return window for a full refund in case you are not fully satisfied. Note that the window is 45 days from the date of purchase, not the date of receipt.
The site adds, “All products MUST include a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number for proper processing. Products returned without a RMA number will incur a twenty percent (20%) No-RMA Fee.”
Along with the 45-day return window, there is a 90-day warranty. If your device fails within that timeframe because of the materials, parts or workmanship, you can get a free replacement.
The site also offers an “MDShield™ Protection Plan” which is available as an optional subscription.
As explained in the FAQ, “With an MDShield™ Protection Plan, you are 100% protected from ALL types of accidental damage, or anything else that may go wrong with the aid, including things not covered by the standard warranty (water damage, battery corrosion, stepping on the hearing aid, etc). The MDShield™ Protection Plan is the most comprehensive hearing aid protection plan on the market. For more information about the protection plan, please contact Customer Service.”
Is MDHearingAid Legit?
Yes, MDHearingAid is legitimate. All of the hearing aids are FDA-registered, so these are high-quality devices.
Also, you can view the profiles of some of the doctors and audiologists who work with the company right on the website.
Pros of MDHearingAid
- You can pick from a range of different hearing aids. With both analog and digital models available and different options for batteries and features, you can choose a model of hearing aid that fits your needs. There is also a wide range in terms of prices, so you can choose what is in your budget.
- All the hearing aids are FDA-registered. You are assured of quality when you shop here.
- This site has been in business for more than a decade and has a solid reputation.
- Shipping is fast and free. You can have your new aids delivered to your door rapidly and get back to enjoying clear hearing.
- You can use insurance if you have it. This will not be the case for most customers, but for those who do have insurance coverage, this is great news.
- You can get financing if you need it. Spending several hundred dollars on a hearing aid can be a bit much for some people upfront. Thankfully, you can pay off your hearing aids in installments using the affordable financing.
- There are guarantees and warranties. This company stands behind its products.
- These hearing aids are reasonably priced. While they lack customization (see below), these hearing aids cost less than many others you may find for sale elsewhere.
- Sometimes this site has huge discounts. I am guessing that most discounts throughout the year are not as significant as the Black Friday discounts I am seeing as I write this, but if they are any indication, this site is more than happy to give customers opportunities to save.
- This website has a dedicated customer support team that you can connect with online or over the phone.
Cons of MDHearingAid
- There is no way to get a custom fit. MDHearingAid products are made with the “average” ear in mind. If you have trouble with one-size-fits-all hearing aids because of the size or shape of your ears, you may need to shop elsewhere.
- No in-canal aids are offered by this company. Behind-the-ear models are all that the site offers.
Who Should Consider MDHearingAid?
The hearing aids at MDHearingAid are only designed for adults, so this site is not suitable for patients under the age of 18.
The majority of patients who need hearing aids should be able to get what they need from MDHearingAid.
But if you need a custom fit, you will need to choose a different option than MDHearingAid.
Likewise, if you want an in-canal model instead of a behind-the-ear model, you will need to shop somewhere else for your hearing aids.
MDHearingAid Offers Affordable Hearing Aids, Fast Shipping, and Great Support.