If you are in search of the deodorant to end all deodorants, you may have heard of Lume.
Lume Deodorants include not just sticks, but an entire line of odor control products you can purchase online.
Lume deodorant’s claim to fame is that it can provide you with longer-lasting odor control than many commercial deodorants, without exposing you to harmful ingredients.
Lume writes, “Lume works like magic, but it’s based in science. Take what you expect from a deodorant and forget it. Once you get into the Lume groove, you will be skipping showers and feeling fabulous knowing that Lume’s got you covered.”
Does Lume live up to the hype? In this review, we will introduce the Lume brand, discuss the benefits, go over the costs, payment options, and shipping options, and talk abut the reputation of the products.
Let’s get started by talking about the story and purpose of Lume.
What is Lume Deodorant?
Lume (which is pronounced loo-mee) was created by an OB/GYN named Shannon Klingman.
Following ten years of research, Shannon wrote, “Over time, through clinical-testing, I was able to prove that the real culprit of most body odor is actually the bacteria on the skin digesting bodily fluids. We’re familiar with that reaction in our underarms, and it actually happens everywhere on our body… Lume actually prevents external body odor from happening in the first place by stopping the odor-causing reaction from happening on our skin. This makes Lume more of a ‘pre-odorant’ than a ‘de-odorant.’”
Lume products are
- Baking soda-free
- Free of phthalates, sulfates, parabens, talc, and artificial fragrances
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Safe to use on any external part of your body (yep, even your nethers)
Once you apply Lume, you may not need to reapply for as much as 72 hours. That’s perfect if you don’t have time the time or opportunity to shower every day. Pretty cool, huh?
Lume Deodorant Quick Facts
- Deodorants, soaps, and wipes
- Free shipping on orders over $20
- Returns for new customers
- Products are natural and aluminum-free
- 72-hour odor control
- Won’t stain clothes
- Pay with credit/debit card, Paypal, Google Pay or ShopPay
What Are the Benefits of Lume Deodorant?
- Stop odors before they start. Unlike other deodorants which are playing catch-up, Lume deodorants are able to prevent odors from setting in.
- Protect your health by using products that are safe and natural. Many commercial deodorants contain ingredients that you do not necessarily want to be exposed to, such as parabens, which are endocrine disruptors. Lume products do not contain these unwanted ingredients.
- Spend less time showering or bathing. Ideally, we would all be able to shower daily. But not everybody can do that. Perhaps you work long shifts with an irregular schedule, or maybe you have a mobile lifestyle and do not always have access to a shower. With Lume, you can keep yourself smelling fresh and clean for up to 72 hours. That means that you may be able to get away with skipping showers without anyone noticing.
- Lume doesn’t stain your clothes. The aluminum that many commercial deodorants contain is what creates yellow stains on your clothing. Lume does not have this ingredient, and will not damage your attire.
- Shipping is fast and affordable. If your order totals $20 or more, shipping is free.
- There are returns. If you are a first-time customer, you can return a single opened container of deodorant. That means that aside from the cost of return shipping, you can test the product with no risk.
- Get your confidence back. If people have commented on your body odor—or if you detect an odor yourself—it can lower your self-esteem. When you know you smell great, it is easier to project confidence and feel good about yourself.
What Products Does Lume Deodorant Provide?
There are three main lines of Lume products: deodorants, soaps, and wipes. Let’s learn a little more about each.
Lume’s flagship product is deodorant. Deodorant is available in these two forms:
So, you can decide what method of application is most convenient for you.
Examples of Lume deodorant scents include:
- Bay Rum
- Coconut Crush
- Clean Tangerine
- Jasmine Rose
- Lavender Sage
- Silver Spruce
- Crisp Juniper
You can purchase just one stick or tube, or you can buy a pack which includes several.
You also have the option of subscribing to save money.
What is in Lume Deodorant?
Lume deodorants contain:
Water, Mandelic Acid, Maranta Arundinacea Root Powder, Tapioca Starch, Isoamyl Laurate, Behenyl Alcohol, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Caprylic/Capric, Triglyceride, Caffeine, PVM/MA Decadiene Crosspolymer, Naturally Derived Fragrance*, Potassium Hydroxide, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Allantoin, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Lauryl Alcohol, Myristyl Alcohol, Lecithin, Pentylene Glycol, Phenylpropanol, Sodium Benzoate, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate.
*Scented products only
Like Lume’s other products, Lume soaps are formulated to help combat odors while leaving your skin hydrated and clean.
It isn’t overly clear how long the order of protection from the soap lasts. So, it seems likely that it is intended to supplement the deodorant, not replace it.
Like Lume deodorants, Lume soaps are available in a variety of scents. You can also purchase unscented Lume soap.
What is in Lume Soap?
Here is the ingredients list from the Lume website for Lume soaps:
Sodium Palmate*, Sodium Cocoate (or) Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Chloride, Galactoarabinan, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentasodium Pentetate
*Lavender Sage is scented with only pure essential oils, while our other dynamic scents contain naturally derived, skin safe botanicals.
*Derived from Rainforest Alliance Raw Material
Experiencing breakthrough odor after using Loom deodorant, maybe while working shifts and not having a chance to reapply the deodorant or take a shower?
To solve this problem, Lume offers Lume wipes. They are a quick on-the-go answer to all your deodorizing needs.
What is in Lume Wipes?
Here is what the Lume website lists for Lume wipes ingredients:
Water, Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hamamelis Virginiana Water, Saccharomyces Ferment Filtrate, Lactobacillus Ferment, Glycereth-7 Triacetate, Cocos Nucifera Fruit Extract, Lactobacillus, Mandelic Acid, Caffeine, Caprylyl/Capryl Glucoside, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Polyglyceryl-5 Oleate, Glyceryl Caprylate, Caprylyl Glycol, Citric Acid, Alcohol, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Sodium Benzoate, Naturally Derived Fragrance
What Does Lume Cost?
One stick of Lume deodorant will run you around $14 as of the time of this writing. A single tube runs around $19.
A bar of soap is around $6, and 15 wipes is around $7.
To get a better idea of the value of Lume products, you probably are wondering how long a single stick of deodorant will last you.
Your mileage may vary depending on your usage. But Lume provides some estimates in their FAQ, stating, ” Using a pea-sized amount on both your underarms, you can get 150 applications from a tube, 110 from a propel stick, and 37 from a mini tube! For private parts it’s even more depending on how many places you apply.”
Lume also states, “Unlike other deodorants, you’ll discover that with regular use (after one to two weeks), it will become unnecessary to apply Lume every day – using less product, less often means it becomes more of a lifestyle with Lume.”
In other words, there is a cumulative effect. As you create an environment which is less conducive to the reactions that produce body odor (see the next section), you get a longer-lasting effect with each application.
So, in the beginning, you may be applying the product daily. But eventually, you will hopefully only need an application once every 2-3 days.
From that point onward, each stick will last even longer.
How Does Lume Deodorant Work?
A lot of us assume that sweat smells bad. According to Lume, that isn’t the case. Rather it is the bacteria feeding on your sweat that smells bad.
Lume is not an antiperspirant. It doesn’t stop sweat, but it does stop the bacteria from feeding on the sweat.
In doing so, it stops the reactions that lead to bad odors.
What Are the Lume Deodorant Payment and Shipping Options?
You can purchase Lume products with a credit or debit card, or you can use Paypal, Google Pay or ShopPay.
When you order a product from Lume, it will be sent to you using USPS First Class shipping, and should take around 3-5 business days. The site provides tracking.
While you can order Lume in the USA and Canada, it costs extra to ship to Canada. Lume does not ship to the US Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or the Northern Mariana Islands.
If you are placing an order worth $20 or more from the US, you can enjoy free shipping.
One really cool thing that Lume does is offer returns. For personal care products, that is unusual.
Returns are specifically for new customers who find that the product doesn’t fit their needs.
Here are the conditions as listed on the website:
We will gladly issue a refund for your item(s) if it meets all of the following conditions:
- It’s returned within 30 days of your first purchase.
- Only one opened deodorant stick or 3 oz tube per order is eligible for return. Unopened deodorant sticks or 3 oz tubes (with safety seal intact) are eligible for return. Sales are final on all other products.
- Your return must be processed with our company-issued return shipping label to ensure proper tracking and processing of your return.
There is a return shipping cost of $5 for one item and $1 each for every item after that in the same package.
Although Lume allows returns within these constraints, the company does not accept exchanges.
Is Lume Deodorant Legit?
Lume deodorant reviews on the whole are very positive, confirming that these products do what they say, and keep odors away for many hours.
Not everybody seems to get 72 hours of odor protection from one application, but even among those who do not, 24 to 48 hours seems pretty common.
While everybody has different preferences for scents, for the most part, customers seem happy with the array of natural fragrances that are available.
Any complaints? While most people get great results from Lume, there are those who say that the product did not work for them. Though it is possible that they did not prep their skin and clothes properly.
A few customers have also been caught off guard by the return shipping fees. But as you are now aware of them, that won’t happen to you.
Pros of Lume Deodorant
- Lume can offer up to 72 hours of protection from body odor. If you get in the habit of using Lume on a regular basis, you should find that you don’t need to apply it as often as in the beginning. Ultimately, you may be able to enjoy up to several days of feeling fresh and odor-free after just one application.
- Lume was developed by a medical professional. Lume’s creator is an OB/GYN who knows her stuff, and she put in the research to create a formula that would prevent odors rather than just trying to conceal them.
- You can use Lume anywhere external on your body. Whether it is your armpits, your private parts, or anywhere else, Lume can tackle odors. It is gentle for sensitive skin.
- Lume offers multiple products to help you control odor. You can decide what combination of deodorant, soap and/or wipes you want to use, as well as whether you prefer your deodorant in a tube or stick form.
- You can choose from many different fragrances. With many different fragrances available, there should be something to suit every person’s taste. But if you do not find one you like, you can always use the unscented versions of the products.
- Ingredients are natural, healthy, and safe. What is more, Lume publishes the full lists of ingredients on their website, which I have included in this review for your convenience. If you have been trying to find a way to avoid parabens, aluminum and artificial ingredients in deodorant, Lume is a good choice.
- Shipping is free for a lot of orders. It is pretty easy to break above the $20 free shipping threshold. You probably can do so by ordering just a couple of products.
- These products last a long time before you need to buy more. As such, Lume is an affordable solution.
Cons of Lume Deodorant
- You’ll still sweat. If you are shopping specifically for an antiperspirant, Lume will not do the trick. This product is for odor control only, not for reducing moisture.
- International shipping options seem to be very restricted. The Lume website does not say anything specific about shipping to most countries outside the US, only mentioning Canada. This leads me to believe that this product is aimed almost exclusively at US customers.
- There are return shipping fees. Although it is great that Lume accepts returns from new customers, having to pay return shipping fees is annoying.
Who Should Consider Lume Deodorant?
Lume deodorant products are great for people of all ages. While an OB/GYN developed them specifically with women in mind, they work just as well for men.
Lume is the Natural, Long-Lasting Deodorant That Stops Odors Before They Start
Many deodorants contain ingredients that may be unhealthy and/or can stain your clothing.
Lume deodorants are the natural, gentle alternative that stops odors from forming in the first place. These products are safe for sensitive skin, gentle on clothes, and effective at controlling odors for up to 72 hours after a single application.
If you are not looking for an antiperspirant—just a natural, cost-effective deodorant—consider giving Lume a try.
You can order Lume now by clicking the link below.