Looking for a way to save money and avoid unnecessary doctor’s appointments?
If you are a woman looking for primary care, skincare, hair care, sexual wellness, mental healthcare, or supplements, Hers is where you can find it all in one place online.
Does this website deliver on its promise of convenient, affordable online healthcare for women?
Join us as we take an in-depth look at Hers, exploring the benefits, services, costs, payment options, pros and cons.
Additionally, we will look at how the entire process works for online appointments. Let’s get started.
What is Hers?
Hers is a telehealth site, sometimes stylized as “hers” or “HERS.” As the URL is forhers.com, it may also sometimes be referred to as “forhers.”
If the name sounds familiar, it could be because you are familiar with the sister site, “Hims.”
Just as Hims specializes in healthcare for men, Hers does the same for women.
The site not only is aimed at a female consumer-base, but is also operated by female healthcare providers.
As the About page explains, “As women who value our health, we’re here to do what we do best – roll up our sleeves to get it done right.
Hers Quick Facts
- $39 per appointment
- $5 follow-ups
- Primary care visits
- Mental health services
- Sexual health
- Hair and skincare
- COVID-19 home test kits
- Pay with a credit or debit card
- Free deliveries.
What Are the Benefits of Hers?
- Avoid unnecessary clinic visits. There are many basic healthcare needs which require a prescription, but which do not require you to speak face-to-face with a doctor. It doesn’t make sense to go to the clinic when you do not need to and can get the same prescription online. That has never been more true than it is today with COVID-19. Staying in your home isn’t just convenient; it is also safe. Hers allows you to do that.
- Waste less time and money. It can take hours out of your day to go to a clinic appointment. Even scheduling an appointment wastes time. Going to the clinic in person is expensive in most cases, especially if you are forced to take time out of work to do it. With Hers, you never need to take time off to get the healthcare you need. It only takes a few minutes to do an online visit, and it is entirely up to you when you want to do it.
- Stress less. Visiting a doctor’s office is often a stressful experience. It is one that can be anxiety-inducing, and in some cases, embarrassing. You get to avoid all of that entirely with Hers.
What Services Does Hers Provide?
On Hers, you can schedule a primary care visit. Note that this is the type of virtual “visit” that does not involve an actual live appointment.
But you can use it to get quick answers to health questions and a prescription, if appropriate.
Primary care services include diagnosis and treatment for:
- Cold and flu
- Common infections
- Tension headaches
- Acid reflux
- GI tract issues
Additionally, you can use Hers to get the products you need for:
- Hair loss
- COVID-19 at-home testing
- Birth control
- Hypoactive sexual desire disorder
- Genital herpes
- Cold sores
- General wellness
You can even purchase skincare products that are customized to your needs.
Hers also provides mental healthcare services. These include:
- Psychiatry evaluation and medication.
- Anonymous support groups.
- Individual therapy.
- Resources and content.
The individual therapy services are talk-based. They are listed as “coming soon,” and will allow you to use your computer or phone for your appointments.
It is pretty cool that there are a variety of different mental healthcare service options, especially considering this is not the site’s main focus.
Some people may be best helped through individual therapy, while others may find what they are looking for with a support group.
On Hers, you get to decide on the best approach to getting the support you need.
What Does Hers Cost?
An online primary care appointment through Hers costs $39.
Need a follow-up appointment? You will only need to pay $5 to follow up on a previous visit.
The cost for your treatment depends on where you pick up your prescription. It will be sent to a local pharmacy of your choice.
Note that while many products need to be purchased through a local pharmacy, there are some products that Hers sells directly through the site.
- Biotin gummies: $16
- Minoxidil: $15
- The Complete Hair Kit: $44
- The Pill: $30
- Collagen Peptide powder: $25
- COVID-19 test kits: $150
As you can see, the prices for these products is entirely reasonable. Moreover, there are sometimes hefty discounts. Like right now, as of the time of this writing, I am seeing 30% off available for the collagen powder, bringing the price down to $17.50.
For products that you will be using over an extended time period, you can subscribe and receive regular refills.
If you do order products directly from the website, they will be shipped to you free of charge.
How Does Hers Work?
Wondering what it is like to get care through Hers? Here is how an online appointment on this website works.
1. Start by registering an account.
2. You will need to provide answers to some basic questions about yourself and your health issue.
3. After the website receives your answers, you will be assigned a licensed provider in your state.
4. The provider will look over your answers to the questions and ask you any follow-up questions they may have.
5. Your provider will come up with a suitable treatment plan. If it is appropriate, you will receive a prescription.
6. You can choose a local pharmacy for Hers to send the prescription to.
7. Check with your pharmacy to see if your prescription is ready, and then go pick it up as usual.
Alternately, did you order a product directly from the site? Just wait for it to arrive at your door.
It is super simple!
You do not need to talk to a doctor on the phone at any point during this process. It is not live, so you do not need to deal with the hassle scheduling an appointment.
Mental healthcare appointments for individuals will work differently, as already mentioned. Those will entail actual live conversations.
But if you do not want to talk to a doctor regarding mental health either, you can just use one of the other mental healthcare services the site provides.
What Are the Hers Payment Options?
You can pay for services on this website using your credit or debit card.
Regarding insurance, Hers writes “The cost of the primary visit won’t be covered by your insurance, and is $39. The cost of the prescription may be covered by your insurance when you pick up the medication at your local pharmacy. Just provide them with your insurance information as you would when picking up any other prescription.”
Is Hers Legit?
The medical advisory board for Hers consists entirely of female MDs. You can view their names and photos on the site, and research their backgrounds further on your own.
Hers writes, “Yes, providers on the Hers platform are all experienced healthcare professionals licensed in your state and qualified to conduct medical consultations and prescribe medications. They’ll have a conversation with you and evaluate your symptoms, just how you’d interact with a doctor for an in-person primary care visit.”
I am not finding a lot of information beyond that, but once you are assigned a doctor, you should be able to look up that person’s background yourself.
Hers and Hims are both well-known websites with established reputations. So, you are dealing with a trustworthy brand.
Pros of Hers
- Hers has a strong reputation. As just mentioned, a lot of people are familiar with Hers and/or Hims.
- Appointments are reasonably priced. $39 is within range of the typical cost of a primary care appointment with insurance. Some people may pay less than that, but a lot of people are used to paying more than that, even with insurance. You also can’t beat $5 for follow-up appointments, a rate you would never get at a local clinic.
- The products that the site sells are affordable. If you are buying hair care, skincare or sexual wellness products directly from Hers, the prices you will pay are economical.
- Shipping is free. You can save money not worrying about shipping. This is especially helpful if you have a recurring subscription.
- You can use your local pharmacy. If you want, you can purchase many treatments that you may be prescribed through Hers at a local pharmacy of your choice.
- Your insurance may cover your treatments through your pharmacy. It is possible that your insurance company will discount your treatments when you pick them up through your pharmacy. You just need to complete the relevant paperwork.
- The process is fast and easy and no scheduling is necessary. The online “visit” takes a matter of minutes. You can quickly provide the answers to the questions when you have a moment to spare. You can then check back for a fast response from a licensed healthcare provider when it is convenient for you.
- A wide variety of healthcare needs can be met through this site. As there are primary care, mental care, hair and skincare, and sexual wellness products and services available here, it is a one-stop-shop. Obviously there are still many situations that might call for a visit to a local clinic, but for everyday healthcare needs, Hers can save a ton of time and money.
- The “for women, by women” approach may make some customers feel more comfortable while taking care of their health. In a male-dominated healthcare system, it can sometimes be difficult to find someone who empathizes with female needs. This site looks to remedy that.
Cons of Hers
- There isn’t a lot of info on licensing (or if there is, it’s hard to find).
- Some of the pages load really slowly. This could just be a temporary issue. It does not seem to affect the entire site.
- Some of the copy on the site is a bit “off” to me—it doesn’t seem to speak directly to my experiences as a woman. But this is just my subjective personal feeling, and might not be yours.
- There are no live appointments outside of mental healthcare. If you need to speak with a doctor directly, you will need to use a different telehealth service.
Who Should Consider Hers?
Obviously, this site is aimed at women. If you are a man, you can try the sister site “Hims.”
Beyond that consideration, whether or not Hers is a good fit for you depends entirely on what you need.
Again, for specific help with a range of different health conditions, you might need to consult with a local doctor.
But if you are dealing with a common illness or infection, or you are simply looking for ongoing care for sexual wellness, skin or hair, mental health, or general wellness, Hers may be just what you’re looking for.
Hers is a Simple, Affordable Way to Get Access to Basic Care
We have had a chance now to explore the features, benefits, pros and cons of Hers in detail now.
You have also learned how the fast and easy online appointment process works.
If you are a woman in search of a simple, affordable way to get the basic care you need for your physical and mental health, consider giving Hers a try.
You can click the link below to go to Hers and make your first appointment now.