If you have migraines, ongoing treatment is essential both for your quality of life and to prevent your condition from progressing.
Nevertheless, treating migraine isn’t always convenient when going through a local clinic, especially in our COVID-19 times.
One website that promises to help migraine sufferers to get the treatments they need rapidly and affordably is Cove.
Can Cove help you manage your migraines? Let’s take a look at the services offered by this online provider in-depth along with their payment options, costs, pros and cons.
That way, you can make an informed decision about your migraine care.
What is Cove?
Cove is a website that allows you to have a virtual appointment to obtain prescription medications to manage your migraines.
The process is fast and easy (see “How Does Cove Work?), and your case will be evaluated by a qualified physician.
Cove claims that based on a study they conducted on their outcomes, their patients experience a 62% reduction in migraine frequency, a 74% reduction in migraine severity, and a 73% reduction in migraine-related ER visits.
Cove Quick Facts
- Online migraine clinic
- $4 a month subscription service
- $20-$40 a month for medications
- Ongoing messaging support with your doctor
- $3 shipping, or free shipping for products that ship every 90 days
What Are the Benefits of Cove?
- Avoid a trip to the doctor to get a new medication. Whether you are trying to get your first migraine medication or you are looking to try a new medication, you can avoid the time, expense and inconvenience of a trip to the clinic. In our COVID-19 times, you also can avoid unnecessary potential exposure to the virus.
- Work with headache specialists. If you have tried to obtain a medication from a primary care doctor, there is always the possibility that you received the “potential drug addict” treatment—i.e. you were accused of seeking a fix and shown the door. This unfortunately is a common occurrence for headache patients. But when you use Cove, you are working with headache specialists who are used to treating patients with your needs. You will not be treated disrespectfully or have your symptoms blown off like you might if you were doing with a provider who does not know as much about head pain.
- No face-to-face conversation is necessary. This can be a big help not only for scheduling reasons, but also because if you are having a bad migraine flare, the last thing you will feel like doing is having a face-to-face conversation with a health care provider. You just fill out the answers to the questions on the consultation when you have a moment, and send them through.
- Avoid wasting money on an appointment just to renew an existing prescription. It is annoying when you run out of refills to need to talk to a doctor to get more. If you have a messaging system you can use to talk to your current provider, you may not have this problem. But not all providers offer this, or you could be between providers. Using Cove can get you around potentially wasting $50 or more on an unnecessary appointment. Instead, you just pay $4.
- Get medication fast when you need it. Do doctors in your local area have weeks of scheduling backup before they can see you? Between sending in your consultation answers and receiving your medication, the most you will wait with Cove is two weeks. In many cases, it won’t be that long.
- A doctor is available to answer your questions at any time at no added cost. There are a lot of reasons you might have questions in the course of your migraine treatment. You might not be sure whether it is safe to take a certain medication at a particular dosage within a particular time frame, or you might not be sure whether a reaction to a new medication is expected. You may wonder during a bad attack what the ER could potentially do for you, and so on. With Cove, you always have a licensed doctor to consult with, and you do not need to book an appointment to do so. You can send in your questions when you have them for fast responses.
- Get treatments even if you do not have insurance. Millions of people in the US have no health insurance. If that describes you, you may have had an impossible time getting the treatment you need in the past. But now, you can affordably obtain medications that may help restore your quality of life.
- Cove is flexible and adaptive to your current and changing needs. Cove doctors know that it is common to need to adjust or switch medications with migraines, and will work with you as required.
What Services Does Cove Provide?
Cove offers prescription medications to patients with migraines. These include both acute and preventative treatments.
$25 / 1 mo
$25 / 1 mo
$30 / 1 mo
Zomig Nasal Spray
$120 / 1 mo
$40 / 1 mo
$25 / 1 mo
$40 / 1 mo
$59 / 3 mo
$63 / 1 mo
$20 / 1 mo
$20 / 1 mo
$35 / 1 mo
$20 / 1 mo
$20 / 1 mo
$20 / 1 mo
$20 / 1 mo
$10 / 1 mo
Cove Beam 3-in-1 Supplement
$35 / 1 mo
$25 / 3 mo
$20 / 3 mo
$20 / 3 mo
Ongoing Support From Your Doctor
Cove provides you with a secure messaging portal that you can use to contact your doctor anytime you have questions or concerns. This is what your $4-per-month subscription fee buys you.
It is worth noting that this is a particularly valuable feature for patients with migraines as migraines are an ongoing condition, and can raise many questions and concerns periodically.
You might be wondering whether you can talk to your doctor over the phone. In most cases, the answer is no, but it depends on the specific circumstances. there may be situations where your doctor asks you to call.
But if you need to talk to a pharmacist at Cove, you can do so at any time.
What Does Cove Cost?
Cove costs $4 a month to maintain an active subscription.
You can view the costs for the medications in the list above.
The $4 a month is very reasonable for continuous support from a physician with your migraines.
What about the prices for the medications? Although Cove states that their prices are generally lower than you would pay at most local pharmacies, as a migraine patient, I can say that I definitely save money going through my insurance for these medications over the prices that I see listed here.
For example, my copay for my sumatriptan locally with my insurance is around $11. That is considerably less than I would pay for it through Cove.
How Does Cove Work?
Here is the process to getting migraine treatment through Cove.
1. Create an account.
To sign up, provide your email address, first and last name, and birth date. You also will need to pick a password. Input your state so that the company can match you with a licensed provider. Accept the terms and conditions, and you will be taken to the next screen.
2. Provide shipping and payment information.
On this screen, you will need to enter the address where you want to have your medications shipped as well as your payment information.
On the right-hand side of the page, you will see a section that says “Today’s order.” It lists what you will be paying today ($4 for 24/7 monthly doctor support).
Cove explains, “Cove is a subscription product and the ongoing monthly price is determined by your prescribed treatment plan. You’ll be able to see and approve the plan before being charged. You can cancel at any time.”
3. Complete the online consultation process.
After you submit your order, you will begin the consultation. This involves answering questions that will help the doctor assigned to you to recommend a treatment.
4. Receive the results of your consultation.
Your doctor will review the answers you provided during the consultation. This process may take up to 48 hours, but it is usually completed within just a few hours.
5. Receive your treatment.
After reviewing your doctor’s recommended treatment plan, you can decide if you feel that plan is right for you.
If it is, you can order your new prescription directly from Cove. It will be delivered to your door less than two weeks after you started the process (processing and shipping your order takes 5-7 business days). You can set up a delivery schedule that fits your needs.
Prefer to use your own pharmacy? Cove gives you that option as well.
6. Revisit your treatment plan if necessary.
If you have been trying to treat your migraines for awhile now, you already know that the first medication that you try isn’t always the one that ends up working for you.
It is also common for a medication that works for a while to stop working later, necessitating a change to a different medication.
That is why Cove allows you to receive ongoing support from your doctor so that you can make adjustments to your treatment plan as needed.
What if you already have a migraine prescription?
If you don’t want to pursue a new treatment plan and are simply looking to re-up your supply of your current medications, you can tell Cove what you are taking when you sign up.
The doctor will then prescribe you what you need so you can get more of your current medications.
What Are the Cove Payment Options?
Cove is a cash pay service. For the vast majority of medications, you need to pay out of pocket. You cannot go through your insurance.
There are some exceptions. For example, Cove is now prescribing Emgality, which is an anti-CGRP medication.
If you receive a prescription for that medication, you need to go through your insurance company to pay for it.
In case you were not familiar with that prescription, it is extremely expensive to pay for out of pocket. Therefore, going through your insurance is a necessity. That is why there is an exception for it here.
Is Cove Legit?
Yes, Cove is a legitimate provider. Headache specialists that Cove lists on its “Cove 101” page include Dr. Alexander Mauskop, MD, founder and director of the New York Headache Center, Dr. Cristina Wohlgehagen, MD, neurologist, and Dr. Sara Crystal, MD, neurologist at the New York Headache Center.
Cove also states in their FAQ that all of their doctors are licensed in the states in which they operate. In order to become a doctor with Cove, a physician must undergo a background check.
Pros of Cove
- Cove carries a wide range of medications for migraines, including newer ones. Whatever you are looking for in terms of treatments, there is a good chance that you will find it here.
- You can work with your doctor to pick a plan that is right for you, or to adjust your plan as needed.
- Ongoing messaging support may be a huge help, and it is affordable. You may not be able to get this level of continuing support from your primary provider. Doctors in traditional clinic environments are rarely this accessible.
- You can go through your insurance for certain high-cost treatments.
Cons of Cove
- Costs for medications may be higher than what you would pay with your insurance. Whether or not this is the case depends on the insurance that you have (assuming you have insurance to begin with).
Who Should Consider Cove?
At a minimum, you must be age 18 to use Cove. This site is not suitable for younger patients.
I would say that whether Cove is right for you or not depends on 1-your financial situation, 2-the medications you require, and 3-what barriers to care you are dealing with.
Here are situations where Cove might be a good fit:
- Cove medications would cost less or the same amount than you would pay through insurance, and/or you are uninsured.
- You are having a hard time finding a local doctor who takes you seriously.
- You need treatment sooner than you can get it through a local clinic.
- You do not want to visit a local clinic to stay safe.
- You cannot afford an appointment with a regular offline doctor.
For a lot of migraine patients this year, the COVID-19 lockdown imposed major barriers in receiving necessary care.
For many people, having a migraine is not a mere inconvenience—it is a crippling attack that leaves the sufferer incapable of work and bereft of quality of life.
As future lockdowns are entirely possible (perhaps likely), it is vital for migraine patients to have an alternative way to obtain medications when they are unable to go through their primary providers.
Cove can provide that access, helping migraine patients to fight their pain and take care of their health during the pandemic.
Cove Improves Access to Fast and Affordable Migraine Treatments
Now you know what the online migraine clinic Cove has to offer. For just $4 a month, you can have continuing support from a licensed doctor, and for a reasonable cost, you can obtain acute and preventative medications to manage your pain.
If you are facing barriers in accessing the care you need offline, consider giving Cove a try. Click the link below to get started.