Since you use your feet all the time, it’s easy to underestimate them. The unassuming human foot may look simple at first glance, but the structures inside it are surprisingly intricate. There are a total of 52 bones in your feet– 26 in each foot. While the exact number of bones in the human body varies depending on how you define bone, Encyclopedia Britannica states that the human body has 206 bones. That means that over a quarter of your body’s bones are contained in your feet. Every single foot bone, ligament and muscle plays a crucial role. They work together harmoniously to help you maintain your balance, walk efficiently and distribute the weight of your body.
If you don’t take care of your feet, it won’t be long before you begin to experience pain and discomfort. Athlete’s foot will set in if you don’t keep your feet and toes clean and dry, or if you don’t change your shoes and socks on a regular basis. Shoes that don’t fit can cause blisters, which in turn will lead to other issues if not addressed. If you injure your foot, the large tissue that connects your heel bone to your metatarsal bones may become inflamed, leaving you with a painful condition called plantar fasciitis.
One way to maintain good foot health is to have your feet massaged on a regular basis. Since there are many excellent electronic foot massagers that you can buy, it’s easy to do this yourself while at home. Available products range from simple Shiatsu-style devices to foot baths with massage features and more.
Here are the best foot massagers you can buy:
- The adjustable, surprisingly hot built-in heater and strong Shiatsu kneaders set Renpho’s Shiatsu Foot Massager Machine apart. It’s a bit pricey but an excellent deal overall, given all the high quality features it has.
- Nekteck’s Foot Massager with Soothing Heat offers excellent value because it’s inexpensive and comes with features that you don’t usually find in other budget massagers.
- CINCOM’s Leg Massager can be used on any limb of the body, which makes it more versatile than massage devices that are only meant to be used on feet.
- If the idea of warming and massaging your feet in bubbly water strikes your interest, give Ovitus’s Foot Spa Bath Massager a look. It’s easier to use than most foot bath machines because it has wheels and a drainage tube.
- CloudMassage’s Foot Massage Machine is a medical-grade foot massager that can be used in a variety of different positions and offers intense, targeted foot massages.
The all-around best shiatsu style foot massager
Renpho’s Shiatsu Foot Massager Machine
Renpho’s Shiatsu Foot Massager Machine is stronger than most, plus its heater will make your feet feel extra warm and toasty. Another nice feature is the fact that it’s very easy to clean. The space where you insert your feet is covered with a fabric cloth, which can be removed and thrown the laundry with the rest of your clothes.
- The built-in heater is surprisingly powerful. Some foot massagers only provide a small amount of warmth, but this one will leave your feet feeling extra toasty.
- Perfect for people that like intense, strong foot massages. The configurable shiatsu kneading knobs provide just as much– or just as little– pressure as you need.
- Easy to maintain. Just remove the cloth fabric from the foot slots and machine wash them when it’s time for a cleaning.
- Equipped with two different foot massage features. This device uses both mechanical knobs and pressurized air to massage your feet.
- User friendly interface. You can access and control every feature with five buttons.
- Customize your massage experience. Choose the heat and air pressure level that you like the most.
- Outstanding customer service. If you don’t like this massager, Renpho will let you return it and give you your money back. There’s also a one-year warranty, which you can use if you run into any quality-related issues with your device.
- Not large enough for people with big feet. The maximum size foot that this device will accommodate is 12.
In a nutshell
This massager isn’t for people with sensitive feet. Its powerful built-in heater and robust kneaders are some of its main attractions.
The best budget foot massager
Nekteck’s Foot Massager with Soothing Heat
If you need a foot massager but don’t want to spend much money on one, Nekteck’s Foot Massager with Soothing Heat is your best bet. Even though it doesn’t cost much, it has a built-in heater, Shiatsu style kneading massagers and a convenient carrying handle. The 12-month warranty shows that Nekteck stands behind this inexpensive yet well-made device.
- Rotating Shiatsu massagers. The tiny spinning knobs are designed to rub your aches and pains away.
- Built-in heater. If you live somewhere where it gets very cold in the winter, this feature may come in handy.
- Excellent value. This is the most full-featured foot massager available in this price range.
- One-button operation. All you have to do to get started is plug it in and push the power button.
- Three different height settings. You can make the massager a bit taller or lower it so that it’s closer to the ground.
- Portable and easy to carry. The carrying handle located on the side of the device makes it easier to carry and store.
- Unconditional 30-day guarantee. If you don’t like it, you can get your money back within 30 days. Take advantage of Nekteck’s 12-month warranty if you run into any quality-related problems.
- The heater may not be powerful enough for some. This massager will warm your feet up a bit, but it’s not powerful enough to offer any significant health benefits.
In a nutshell
This budget foot massager doesn’t cost much at all and comes equipped with a surprising array of features. It’s the best option available for people that want to save money.
The most versatile foot massager
CINCOM’s Leg Massager
Like its name suggests, CINCOM’s Leg Massager is a multipurpose massager that can soothe any part of your lower body. You can even use it on your arm, too. The velcro strap accommodates any limb that’s less than 21 inches around. It’s more convenient to transport and store than many types of massagers because you can fold it up and put it in a bag when you’re not using it.
- Massages not only feet, but also calves and arms. The versatility of this foot massager is one of its core benefits.
- Fits most sizes. The adjustable 21-inch-long straps will accommodate most people.
- Comes with a remote control. There’s no need to bend down every time you want to change a setting.
- Easy to store and transport. Just fold it up and put it in the included bag when you’re not using it.
- Two massage styles. Switch between simple compression and graduated massage modes.
- Easy to use. The interface consists of just four buttons. One turns the power on and off and the other adjusts the air pressure. You can switch between the two different massage modes with the bottom two.
- 24-month warranty. If anything goes wrong, just send you device back to the manufacturer and get all your money back.
- May be too loud for some. This device’s motor won’t wake up the neighbors, but it is somewhat noisy.
In a nutshell
The most unique thing about this foot massager is that it’s not just for feet. The included remote control is another nice perk.
The best foot bath device with massage features
Ovitus’s Foot Spa Bath Massager
The problem with foot bath machines is that most are somewhat difficult to clean and maintain. That’s where Ovitus’s Foot Spa Bath Massager comes in. It cleans your feet with water and an infrared light while it massages and relaxes them. When you’re finished, just use the drainage tube on the side to dump the water out. The wheels on the bottom and the handle on the side add to its ease of use.
- Makes grooming easier. Exfoliation is much easier after a foot bath.
- Easy to clean and maintain. The drainage tube on the side is a very convenient feature.
- One-button operation. Just plug in and push the power button to get started.
- Infrared light kills germs. Studies have shown that infrared light heals and disinfects the skin.
- Accommodates large feet. If your feet are smaller than size 17, they’ll fit comfortably within the tub.
- Three different voltage options. Use the three different wattage modes to control how much electricity you use.
- Easy to carry and roll. The wheels and handle on the side let you push or pull this foot massager wherever you need it to go.
- The built-in bubble jets aren’t very strong. The jets do a good job of making sure that the water circulates, but don’t add much to the massage itself.
In a nutshell
Let’s face it: if you buy a foot massager that’s a hassle to use, you’ll probably give up on it eventually. This foot massager / foot spa is easier to use and clean than most.
The best medical grade foot massager
CloudMassage’s Foot Massage Machine
CloudMassage’s Foot Massage Machine is for people that need relief from foot pain nearly every day. It’s sturdier and more powerful than the typical electronic foot massager– but it’s also somewhat pricey. If you’re willing to spend a few hundred dollars, this could be your best option.
- Equipped with three different massage features. This full-featured massager uses not only compressed air and heat, but also vibration when it does its job.
- Powerful and intense. It’s a serious foot massager that can apply a large amount of pressure and generate extreme amounts of heat.
- Pick your favorite massage position. Most foot massagers can only be used in one position, but the adjustable bar lets you use this one in a variety of different positions.
- Switch between four different modes. The buttons let you switch from rolling and vibration to an intense deep tissue massage. Intuitive indicator lights show you which mode you’re in.
- User friendly. Even though this device is more advanced than most, it’s not hard to use.
- Excellent customer service. CloudMassage is a family-run business that’s based in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Return it for a full refund if you don’t like it. If for any reason you don’t like this massager, you can return it to CloudMassage for a full refund.
- Expensive compared to other electronic massagers. The fact that this massager is pricier than most is its only real downside.
In a nutshell
If you’ve used electronic foot massagers before and you weren’t impressed, you may want to give this one a try. It’s one of the most powerful foot massagers you can buy online.
Buying guide for foot massagers
If you’re the type of person that prefers strong, deep tissue foot massages, you may want to spend a bit more to get a foot massager with a little more power. The motors inside a foot massager are the priciest components. Many good quality inexpensive foot massagers do exist, but they most don’t pack quite as much punch as the heavy duty ones that have powerful motors.
The heat factor
Heat has many proven therapeutic benefits, ranging from increased circulation to pain relief. The results of a study published by the Journal of Clinical Medical Research suggest that both dry and moist heat can help reduce muscle soreness. Think about how hot you want your feet to get before you buy, then look for a foot massager that can reach the temperature you want.
Warranty and customer service
When shopping for foot massagers, one of the most important things to consider is the manufacturer’s reputation and customer support policy. Does the company behind the foot massager quickly send a new device if there’s a problem? If not, you may regret your purchase if you get a lemon or if something goes wrong.
Size vs. portability
Some foot massagers are sleeves that can be folded up and stored just about anywhere, but others– like foot bath style massagers, for example– require more room. Find out the dimensions of your prospective foot massage device before you buy, so that you can make sure you have enough space to put it away properly when you’re not using it.
Features vs. price
Some foot massagers offer multiple massage modes, auto shut-off timers and fully adjustable positioning bars. If you don’t care about these extras, you can save money by picking a massager that has only the features you need.
How much noise does it make?
All mechanical foot massagers are powered by tiny motors, but some are louder than others. If you think that the whirring sound will bother you or a loved one, you may want to go with a foot massager that doesn’t make much noise.
What do you have to do to clean it?
Foot bath massagers need to be emptied out after every single use. Mechanical foot massagers are easier to use because they don’t require as much maintenance. Some have removable sleeves, which you can take out and throw in the wash when it’s time for a cleaning.
Budget foot massagers typically cost around $50. Typical Shiatsu-style foot massagers fall within this price range, as do most foot bath style foot massagers.
If you’re willing to spend around $100, you can get a nicer quality foot massager that’s a bit more powerful and has a few extra features.
Deluxe foot massagers are pricey, but come equipped with extra strong kneading motors and patented, high-end features. Expect to pay $250 or more.
Frequently asked questions
Q: Can a foot massage machine benefit my health?
A: In addition to reducing foot pain, foot massages offer a number of surprising health benefits. Foot massages can lower your blood pressure, improve the flexibility of your feet and reduce headaches.
Q: How often should I use my foot massager?
A: Within reason, you can massage your feet as often as you like. If you feel a sharp pain or intense soreness when you use your machine, you should stop the massage and rest. It’s a good idea to start with one massage session per day at first. You can gradually build your way up to more frequent sessions from there.
Q: Are there any side effects I should know about?
A: For the most part, foot massage devices are perfectly safe. However, people with some types of medical conditions may need to check with their doctors before they buy. Foot massage devices may not be suitable for people with blood clots.
Tips and tricks
- If you have big feet, you may have trouble finding a Shiatsu-style foot massage machine that will accommodate you. Most such devices only fit people with size 12 mens’ shoe size or smaller. A sleeve style foot massager may be a better choice.
- There are many simple foot exercises that target various pressure points that you can do by yourself at home. For an extra health and relaxing massage, learn about how to do a few of these on YouTube, then spend 15 minutes or so doing them before you put your foot in your foot massage device.
- You don’t always have to put your bare feet in your massage device. Most electronic foot massagers are just as effective when you wear socks.